Updated: Jul 30, 2020
If you’re a 90’s baby, you definitely remember Brandy & Monica’s R&B classic “The Boy Is Mine.” Well, get ready to feel nostalgic!
10 Things You Probably Didn't Know About R&B Worldhit 'The Boy Is Mine'
1. “The Boy Is Mine” was the lead single on both Brandy’s Never Say Never and Monica’s The Boy Is Mine, which happen to be their sophomore albums.
2. It was the first #1 pop record for both artists in the US, as well as internationally. It was also the first #1 collaboration between solo female artists since 1979’s “No More Tears (Enough Is Enough),” performed by Barbra Streisand and Donna Summer.
3. It became the best-selling song of the year in the US, where it spent a span of 13 weeks on top of the Billboard Hot 100 during the summer of 1998, beating out Shania Twain’s “You’re Still The One.”
4. After watching an episode of Jerry Springer featuring two women fighting over a man, Brandy ran with the concept and partnered up with Rodney “Darkchild” Jerkins, his brother
Fred Jerkins III, Japhe Tejeda and Lashawn Daniels to write the song.
5. Originally, Brandy planned for the song to be a solo record when they decided that the song would be much more enticing as a duet, drawing further inspiration from Michael Jackson and Paul Mccartney’s 1982 smash hit “The Girl Is Mine”.
6. According to tabloids, there was an existing feud brewing between Brandy and Monica. Brandy thought a collaboration with Monica was the perfect opportunity to dispel the rumors.
7. “The Boy Is Mine” was awarded the Grammy Award for Best R&B Performance by a Duo or Group and garnered three Billboard Music Awards.
8. The late actress Naya Rivera (Santana) of the Fox TV series Glee covered “The Boy Is Mine” in the first season episode “Laryngitis.”
9. Brandy & Monica singing “The Boy Is Mine” at the 1998 Video Music Awards in Los Angeles happens to be their only television broadcast performance of the song.
Allegedly the two got into an altercation during a rehearsal. An incident that may have been later confirmed during an interview with Angie Martinez back in 2012 and from Dallas Austin in an interview with DJ Vlad in 2019.