Updated: Jul 14
18 years ago today, Nelly and Kelly Rowland released the song 'Dilemma'
18 years ago, Nelly released his second solo album called 'Nellyville'. The album immediately went to #1 on the US Billboard 200. The album was supported by six singles including the number-one hits 'Hot in Herre' and 'Dilemma'. But the bad news for Nelly: his 'Hot in Herre' fell from No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100 after seven weeks.
The good news for Nelly: his follow-up 'Dilemma,' featuring Kelly Rowland, released in July 30th, took over for its first of 10 weeks at No. 1. It was a number-one hit in ten countries, including the United Kingdom, the United States and Australia, selling over 7.6 million copies worldwide, becoming one of the best selling singles of all time.
8 Facts You Probably Didn't Know About Hip-Hop/R&B Worldhit 'Dilemma'
1. Ashanti's 'Foolish' was the only other song in 2002 to spend as many weeks on top of the Hot 100 as 'Dilemma.'
2. 'Dilemma' includes a sample from Patti LaBelle's 'Love, Need and Want You' Pattie LaBelle also played Kelly's mother in the music video of Dilemma.
3. 'Dilemma' actually had two runs in 2002 as the number one song in America. The first stretch lasted from August 17, 2002 to September 28, 2002 before the song was dethroned by 'A Moment Like This' by Kelly Clarkson.
The song regained the top spot on October 19. October 26 marked the ninth week 'Dilemma' topped the Hot 100 in 2002.
4. During the music video of Nelly's Grammy-award winning track "Dilemma" featuring Kelly Rowland. The video depicts Rowland contemplating the "Dilemma" of leaving her current boyfriend for Nelly.
Near the end of the video, Rowland checks her Nokia 9290 PDA / phone for a text, but not in the messaging app — in Excel. Yes, that Excel.
5. The duo recorded an update of this song titled "Gone" which was a track on Nelly's 2010 album, 5.0.
6. This was the first big solo hit for any Destiny's Child member. Michelle Williams was the first to release a solo album, which appeared in April 2002. Rowland's "Simply Deep" followed in October, but "Dilemma" was released earlier, landing at #1 US in August.
7. What song ended up permanently knocking 'Dilemma' off its perch? 'Lose Yourself' by Eminem, which ended up being the first rap song ever to win an Oscar for Best Original Song.
8. 'Dilemma' won a Grammy in 2003 for Best Rap/Sung Collaboration. Nelly won another Grammy that year for Best Male Solo Rap Performance for 'Hot in Herre.'