top of page

Ice Cube Says Warner Bros. Won’t Give Him ‘Friday’ Rights, and He’s Not Buying Them


Photo: Getty/New Line Cinema

It’s been two decades since the last Friday movie–but the reason we haven’t seen the fourth entry isn’t that Ice Cube is out of ideas. As it turns out, Warner Bros. has a stranglehold on the property and so Ice Cube has had to say “Bye, Felicia!” to the rights.

Ice Cube, who served as actor, writer, and producer on 1995’s Friday, 2000’s Next Friday, and 2002’s Friday After Next, recently appeared on the “Hotboxin’ with Mike Tyson” podcast to discuss the franchise and the studio snags.


On Warner Bros., Ice Cube said:

“I don’t know what they’re doing. They don’t know what they’re doing. We’d love to have it back. I think it’s going to be close to a time when we get it back. So, we’ll either wait for that time, or we’ll keep trying to convince them that they need to let us control the movie. It’s my movie, but they have distribution control.”

How could Ice Cube get control of his Friday series? Not surprisingly, it comes down to money. But will Cube cough up the Benjamins?

“I ain’t putting shit up for it. F*ck no. They need to give it to me, and they’re going to make money. I’m not about to pay for my own stuff, that’s stupid. They need to do the right thing, get it to us, let us turn it into more money, and make the fans happy…We can do a lot with it.”

Ice Cube revealed earlier this year that he had ideas for two potential Friday sequels, one of which sees his and Omar Epps’ characters landing in jail for selling pot.


Check out the podcast down below.


MORE NEWS & STORIES


Comments


bottom of page